Third grade takes things up a notch as we’ll build in a higher level of competition as we work to equip more and more players to be ready for travel basketball or a higher level of competition at the rec level. The goal will be to help the kids adjust to a more normal style of basketball while allowing new players to get acclimated to the game for the first few weeks of the season.
To help us accomplish this goal, here are some of the guiding principles for our 3rd-grade program:
- All games and scrimmages are 5-on-5 so players can start to adjust to a normal style of game and kids interested in travel can adjust to playing with more people on the court.
- Teams will play 1 scrimmage game plus a full 11 game schedule. The scrimmage will have 1 referee and 1 coach from each team on the court to help new players get acclimated to the game. The remaining games will run like normal games with 2 referees who will also help to coach the players when necessary.
- No free throws.
- No stealing for the first 6 games, the ball can be tied up in the lane though. Stealing is allowed for the final 6 games plus the tournament.
- The league will keep track of records and there will be a single-elimination tournament at the end of the season.
- Teams will play 8 four-minute periods
- The boys will play on a 9-foot hoop with a 27.5-inch basketball
The regular season will run from early January to early March with games played on Saturdays and Sundays at schools (possibly an occasional weekday game) through the Spring Lake Park and Anoka-Hennepin school districts. The double-elimination tournament will take place in early March so that all games are completed prior to spring break.